Ram to Watch: Jennifer Ma

Senior Jennifer Ma has been dominating the volleyball court ever since her freshman year.  Ma is a four-year varsity player for both the girls and co-ed volleyball teams at Rockville High School (RHS). 

She began playing volleyball when she was 12 years old and fell in love with the sport. Ma’s hard work and dedication to the team helped her earn the position of captain.

“Jennifer is the type of player every coach wants on their team. Someone who wants to practice, wants to try hard, wants to do everything well,” varsity co-ed volleyball coach Raymond Trail said. 

Ma has incredible ball handling skills and quick feet, making her a versatile player. She is a defensive specialist, also known as a libero. In addition, Ma can also be an outside hitter, which in volleyball is the lead attacker on offense. Furthermore, Ma is a leader on the court as she is a captain and one of three seniors on the team this year.

This year’s co-ed team had a steller season with an 8-3 overall regular season record in addition to winning the first round of playoffs. Ma led her team to victory by organizing rides, planning activities, and stepping up when needed. 

After high school, Ma will attend University of Maryland Baltimore County with a major in Mechanical Engineering. While she will not continue to play volleyball in college, she will never forget the memories and friendships she made here at RHS. 

Ma has enjoyed having Coach Trail as a coach throughout the years as he supported her on and off the court, she said.

“Coach Trail has been a great role model for me.He has definitely made me a better player.”

Trail has coached Ma all four years of high school, strengthening their bond each year. 

“Jennifer does all the things that you want a player to step up and do,” Trail said.

As Ma looks forward to college and her years ahead, she hopes underclassmen can learn and experience the same joy that volleyball gave her. 

“It’s been great to see her mature and progress over her time at RHS,” Trail said.