Tragedy In Newton: Gunman Opens Fire On Elementary School

FBI SWAT team members walk along Dickinson Drive near Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, Friday, December 14, 2012. Twenty-seven people, including 18 children, have been killed in a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Courtesy of MCT Campus

Around nine oa��clock on Friday, December 14, a gunman entered a Connecticut elementary school and shot 20 children and 6 adults, making this one of the most deadly school shootings in history within the United States.

The shooting took place in Newtown, Connecticut at Sandy Hook Elementary school. Among those who were killed was the gunman’s own mother, Nancy Lanza, shot at her home. The gunman then pursued to the school, where he had attended as a child, where he opened fire on the students. Two children medical authorities hoped to have saved, but passed away in a nearby hospital.

The suspect’s identity was not known initially, but was later confirmed to be Adam Lanza. Adam Lanza died inside the school, from what is confirmed to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

President Barack Obama has called for the flags to be flown half-staff. He came on television to the families and town of Newtown to address this tragedy and was the most emotional ever seen during his presidency. “Each time I learn the news I react not as a president, but as anyone else would–as a parent,” President Obama said. “I know there’s not a parent in America who doesn’t feel the same overwhelming grief that I do.”