Students Enjoy Homecoming with COVID-19 Safety Measures

Despite the distress surrounding the spread of COVID-19, homecoming traditions continued, but modifications were in place to ensure the safety of the RHS community.  

The excitement for homecoming started on Monday, Sept. 27th, with homecoming games. The football toss was the first activity and took place during lunch. 

Seniors won the majority of homecoming games, including the pie eating contest, the football toss and musical chairs.  

On Friday Oct. 1,the annual homecoming pep rally was hosted at the end of the day. The Poms and cheer teams performed to begin the rally, the Senior Sweeps performance followed.  

“The pep rally was amazing and fun to watch,” junior Liana Guevara said, “I especially enjoyed getting slimed and watching the homecoming games take place, like musical chairs.”

Later that day Rockville hosted Springbrook for the homecoming football game. Rockville earned their 5th straight win, beating Springbrook 19-5. 

“The football game was definitely my favorite activity that week,” freshman Anne Sigman said, “I liked the social aspect of it, lots of people were having fun and everyone shared a similarity during the game.” 

On Saturday October 2, the homecoming dance took place outside in the courtyard from 6-9pm. Masks were required for all in attendance and guests were restricted to only current students enrolled in Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS). Snacks were provided, along with a photobooth to take photos with your friends. 

“I would definitely go to another dance to socialize with my friends, ” freshman Isabella Patricio said.