The Student News Site of Rockville High School

Rampage

Rampage

Rampage

‘90s Throwback Musical “Popstars” to Open this Friday

Adeline Silvestro
“Popstars” cast performs a dress rehearsal on Monday, March 4 in preparation for opening night on Friday, March 8.

This spring, RHS Drama is performing the hilarious ‘90s inspired musical, “Popstars.” “Popstars” premiers this Friday, March 8, at 7 p.m. with show dates following on March 9, 15, and 16 at 7 p.m. and a matinee on March 16 at 1 p.m..

“Popstars” is an upbeat boy band vs. girl band showdown set in a 1990s high school. This throwback musical features classic ‘90s nostalgia with countless top hits from artists such as MC Hammer, Britney Spears, and the Backstreet Boys.

“It’s what’s called a jukebox musical, so all the music from it is based on popular music from a specific era, in this case the ‘90s,” director and co-producer Dana Sato said.

The musical depicts queen bee Shannon Van der Witt who breaks up with her boyfriend Mark for a better chance of winning the State Talent Show. Mark soon hatches a revenge plan, starting his own garage band to compete with Shannon’s Candy Girls in the talent show. He enlists help from the talented new girl Ella to teach them how to dance and drama ensues.

“We’ve been getting a lot of inspiration from the original choreo and songs of ‘90s boy bands and ‘90s girl bands,” senior and lead actress Cadence Flaherty said.

The cast and crew consists of approximately 60 people all together. Actors have been preparing by learning lines, choreography, and directions while the crew has worked on music, lights, sets, and other important roles. 

“We’re kind of like a theater family, it feels like we’re all really close and really good friends,” Flaherty said. “We all respect each other and have the same goal, so because of that commonality everyone works together really well.”

The cast and crew are primarily focusing on repetition and rehearsal to perfect the finishing touches in anticipation of opening night.

“[We’re] just making sure that we know the dances, the songs, the crew knows where to move the set,” Sato said. “Our painters are still finishing up a few things, the lights crew is still putting up a few cues.”

RHS Drama Department recommends “Popstars” for students who are interested in seeing what life was like for their parents and teachers in the ‘90s, for parents who want a bit of ‘90s nostalgia, and for anyone who wants to support the performing arts.

“The comradery, the relationships you make with each other between the cast and crew and directors and everything, that’s a huge part of it,” Sato said. “But, there’s something inexplicable about the feeling when the curtain goes up and when you hear the audience clapping. It’s addictive.”

Tickets for “Popstars” are on sale now for $10 per student. Make sure to come out this weekend or next weekend to support Rockville’s performing arts and see a great show.

“I can’t tell you who wins [the Talent Show] because that would be spoiling it, but you should totally come see the show,” Flaherty said.