Rampage

Rams Charge Past Wolverines at Home

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rams Charge Past Wolverines at Home

Coach Todd Dembrowski speaks to the players during a timeout in the second quarter. The Rams beat the Wolverines 47-37, adding another win to their above 500 record.

Photo by Renzo Ferruzo

Photo by Renzo Ferruzo

Photo by Renzo Ferruzo

Jack Welch, Staff Writer

Boys varsity basketball (6-5) defeated the Watkins Mill Wolverines (4-6) 47-37 Jan. 11 at home, making this the second year in a row the Rams have taken out the Wolverines.

Both teams were off to a slow start with strong defense on both sides of the floor with little to no offense, resulting in the first quarter closing in a 6-6 tie.

The Rams kept up the defense into the second quarter with the help of senior center Jimmy Sorunke who had four blocks to start off the quarter, proving he can protect the rim. Despite the Rams strong defense the game was tied at halftime 20-20.

Coming out of the half the Rams had a few fastbreak points from junior forward Jailen Anderson which helped break the tie and a scoring run from senior forward Matt McTighe who finished the game with 13 points.

“A couple of good defensive stops led to some fastbreak points, which helped us gain some momentum and have things going our way,” junior guard Clark Portillas-Reich said.

Toward the end of the game the Wolverines attempted a number of free throws but struggled to convert from the foul line, ending their chance to make a late run.

The Rams will take on the Richard Montgomery Rockets Jan. 25 away at 5:30 p.m.

About the Writer
Jack Welch, Staff Writer

Senior Jack Welch began his first year as a full-time staff member of the Rampage staff this year after completing J1 his junior year. He discovered early...