Principal Bensen Addresses Students About Recent School Shooting

Sarah D'Souza and Alex Reynolds

Following the school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., along with an incident at Clarksburg HS Thursday in which a student was arrested for allegedly bringing a loaded firearm to school, principal Billie-Jean Bensen addressed students over the morning announcements today.

In the announcement, Bensen reassured students that RHSa�� number one priority is to keep students safe and that administration prioritizes creating a safe learning environment through a list of daily security procedures. These include locking all doors except for the main entrance at 7:45 a.m., positioning a security assistant in front of the main entrance all day, having a six-person security team circulating the school and monitoring cameras positioned throughout the building.

“If you see something, say something. If something seems wrong or you know something is wrong, tell someone,” principal Billie-Jean Bensen said. “If you are worried about a friend, tell someone. Our team of security and staff are here to listen and respond. We will continue to be vigilant to ensure your safety.”

Superintendent Jack Smith also sent out an email to the community and provided a list of resources regarding MCPS emergency preparedness plans, as well as recent investments the county has made to increase security such as thousands of surveillance cameras and visitor management systems.