Community Rallies for the Rampace 5K

Alex Reynolds, Online Editor-in-Chief

The eighth annual Rockville Rampace 5K was held Saturday Nov. 18 and raised about $1,800 for the journalism program at RHS.

Starting at 8 a.m., 158 runners took the starting line. Among them were parents, teachers and students from the Rockville community. Seven members of the cross country team showcased their skills in the race including senior captain David Barney.

“I was planning on jogging [the 5k] but I guess cross country made me more competitive,” Barney said. “It was nice that it wasn’t for a sporting event so there was less pressure on me to run fast.”

Barney had the fastest time of the cross country runners who competed with a time of 19:14.6, third overall out of the men. Maddox, who did not register his first name, finished first with a time of 18:26.4 and Noe Garcia finished second in 19:04.8.

For the females, Alida Anderson placed first in 23:12.7, Paige Waterman followed in second in 23:15.8 and Allison Moser placed third in 23:50.5.

With numerous volunteers in the stadium and along the race route, this year’s Rampace saw many people returning to help out with the race.

“It’s so much fun to see them go and encourage them, especially up the hill,” said foundations of technology teacher Jennifer Forrest, who has volunteered for the Rampace the past four years.. “There’s a lot of people who get involved, it’s a real community effort.”

All benefits from the Rampace this year went to the journalism program at RHS, opposed to last year where the profits were split between the journalism program and the athletic department. In addition to money raised by registrations, a donation raffle was held that offered gift cards to local businesses, as well as various school passes. The National Honors Society held a food drive at the event to gather food cans to give to local homeless shelter, Stepping Stones.

The full racing results for both males and females according to their bib numbers have been published on the Rampage website.