RAM Hockey Defeats the DC Stars

Grace Goodman, Associate Editor

RAMs hockey (4-2-2) defeated the DC Stars 7-1 Dec. 1 at the Rockville Ice Arena, putting forth a strong offensive against the Stars who struggled without their regular goalie.

The RAM name stands for Rockville and Magruder, since most of its players come from those two schools and the rest are from private schools such as The Heights, Jewish Day School and St. Andrews. This allows students who attend schools that don’t have official hockey teams, like in MCPS, to be able to play.

Since MCPS do not have official hockey teams, many students choose to play on club teams through Maryland Student Hockey League (MSHL). Some teams are a combination of schools that don’t have enough players from one school to make their own team.

Stars forward Adrian McCarthy had a goal in the first 30 seconds of the game which initially surprised the RAMs but they quickly responded by scoring three goals to close out the first period 3-1.

In the second period, RAM’s center Matthew Krivitskiy and forward Isaac Gelb scored within 30 seconds of each other, providing a confidence boost for the team and fans.

“When they scored back to back the whole crowd went crazy,” sophomore Monica Blassou said.

The RAMs finished off the game with two more goals in the third period by defenseman Hayden Kim and forward Mason Brown.

Closing out the game 7-1, RAMs players attributed their win to team effort.

“The competition was tough,” senior defense Finn Harty said, “but we came together and worked well as a team, allowing us to beat the DC Stars.”