Kaytlin Wack Represents RHS at Senior All-Star Volleyball Game

Noam Elfassi

Outside hitter Kaytlin Wack stands with other members of the all star senior volleyball team before the match begins.

Elenna Mach, Sports Managing Editor

Joining 23 other MCPS students, outside hitter and co-captain Kaytlin Wack was the only RHS player selected to represent the Rams at the annual Montgomery County senior All-Star volleyball game Nov. 20, hosted at RHS to support the Walt Hardy Memorial Fund raising a total of $687.

Over the 16 years that this event has been around, 384 girls have participated. Since

2002, this game has always been a charity event, donating a total of more than $19,000 to different charities every year.

This year, all proceeds went to the Walt Hardy Memorial Fund. Hardy played volleyball at Paint Branch HS and graduated in 1985. He worked at MCPS for over 25 years and was most recently a teacher and athletic director at Kennedy HS. He sadly suffered a fatal heart attack this past August. This memorial fund was created to help students in a variety of ways such as college scholarships and helping students with special needs.

“It was a great night. We raised almost $700 for a great charity. That’s a great night,” director of the event and Magruder HSa�� coach Scott Zanni said.

Wack’s team, the White team, was unable to defeat the Red team 1-3 sets. Her team consisted of players from Damascus, Magruder, Sherwood, Blake, Walter Johnson and Gaithersburg HS.

“[I was] mostly honored [to play in this year’s game],” Wack said. “During the game I was pretty nervous when I got on the court, but I instantly felt better when I was comforted by the other girls on my team.”

Outside of RHS, Wack has played on club teams for three years and currently plays on Volleyball Maryland’s 17A team to improve her skills. She also contributed to the co-ed division championship for the 2017 season, ending it with a near-perfect record of 10-1. All of her hard work paid off when she was one of the few selected to play.