Boy’s Varsity Soccer Secure Third Win in a Row

Photo Courtesy of: Josue Rodriguez

Jabril Mohamed, Staff Writer

Boys varsity soccer (3-0) defeated the Wheaton Knights (2-1) 4-1 Sept. 14 with a strong offensive showing by the Rams in the first half, extending their winning streak against The Knights, having defeated them last year 2-1.

The game started off with a goal from senior outside back Lucas Garcia-Oa��Donnell who headed the ball into the net off a cross from senior forward Bryce Orsini. This was O’Donnell’s first career goal for the varsity squad and was a memorable moment for him.

“It was an amazing feeling, but all credit goes to Bryce for the incredible volley he sent to me,” Oa��Donnell said.

The game became physical following the goal, leading to more scoring after Bryce Orsini was fouled in the penalty box. Orsini took the penalty kick and netted his third goal of the season.

The Rams offense continued to set an aggressive tone as sophomore forward Joaquin Dea��Guzman scored his first goal of the season off of an assist from senior forward Kenneth Abita. The Rams led 3-0 36 minutes into the game.

We made mistakes, but we were able to come out with the win.

— senior midfielder Stephen Orsini

Soon after De-Guzman’s goal The Knights answered with their only goal of the match scored by Wheaton junior Andres Perez. At the half the Rams led 3-1.

In the second half, the Rams struggled with mistakes but maintained their lead to secure the victory.

The Rams strong midfield was led by senior captain Stephen Orsini, who was back in the lineup after suffering a face injury. Orsini wore a clear face mask for protection but was glad to be back playing with his teammates.

“It was a little rough, but you gotta shake out the cobwebs and push through. We made mistakes, but we were able to come out with the win,” Stephen Orsini said.

The game ended with a final score of 4-1, after senior forward Ronald Martinez extended the lead with a penalty kick awarded to the Rams.

Next up the boys varsity team will face the Blair Blazers at Blair Sept. 18.