The Student News Site of Rockville High School

Rampage

Athletes Celebrate Teachers with Breakfast

Graphic by Sarah D'Souza and Kate Morey

Graphic by Sarah D'Souza and Kate Morey

Sarah D'Souza, Editor-in-Chief

114 total views, 2 views today

Student athletes celebrated teacher appreciation by staging a breakfast sponsored by the booster club and the athletic department at 7 a.m. Sept. 13 in the staff dining room. Similar breakfasts are scheduled for each sports season throughout the rest of the school year.

“I think all the students know that education comes first, so this is a way to showcase that to the teachers and say thank you for all the hard work,” athletic director Michael Hayes said.“And I know the athletes get out of class a lot early or might have a pep rally or away game, so hopefully this way the kids can connect with the teachers to say thank you.”

The booster club bought the breakfast items, including bagels, doughnuts, fruit and muffins, which were laid out for teachers before the start of the school day.

I think all the students know that education comes first, so this is a way to showcase that to the teachers and say thank you for all the hard work.

— athletic director Michael Hayes

“I know most teachers are in earlier than I am and I’m in 45 minutes early,” Mary Rose Winnard, a long term substitute for english teacher Dana Tobiassen said. “And I know teachers come in an hour early and stay an hour late, and you know it’s kind of thankless but breakfast helps.”

Two to three athletes from each fall sport were encouraged to attend the breakfast to show support and thank their teachers in person by greeting them as they came through the door.

“I think it’s harder for teachers to get recognition for all the work they do because it’s brushed off sometimes,” sophomore soccer player Monica Blassou said, “and little things like giving them breakfast and saying how good of a job they do- I think if I was at teacher that would really help me and motivate me while I’m working.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Athletes Celebrate Teachers with Breakfast”

1. Beth seabreeze on September 16th, 2017 5:46 am

We appreciated it! It was delicious! Go rams!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.