Boys Lacrosse Finishes Strong

Matt DiFonzo, Staff Writer

The Rockville High School Boys’ Lacrosse team wrapped up their best season in recent memory with a strong run in the playoffs and finished with another winning record for the books.

Despite their playoff success and an eventual loss in the sectional finals to Damascus HS. Head coach Jesse Rutter said he is contented with the team’s overall performance and is satisfied with the direction in which the team is headed.

“Yes, I am pleased with the team’s performance. The team finished 9-6 and was in every game all year. [The] guys put up great numbers and garnered Rockville a lot of respect around the county and state. There’s plenty more for this program to accomplish,” Rutter said.

Led by senior captain Peter Verity, Rockville lacrosse defeated Richard Montgomery HS in the team’s final regular season home game. Senior Hudson Cary, one of the top goal-scorers in the county, guided the team to victory, scoring 13 goals for Rockville.

In the first round of the state playoffs, RHS overwhelmed the Crossland HS Cavaliers, nearly achieving a shutout in a decisive 25-1 victory. The Cavaliers, from PG County, finished the regular season with a respectable 8-5-1 regular season record. Junior Alex Reynolds helped RHS secure the win with a dominating performance in the face-off circle.

In the second round, RHS defeated the Oxon Hill Clippers 25-4. Many players contributed to the well-deserved playoff win, including several players who were promoted from JV for the contest. Sophomore Aidan Kalinock scored his first varsity career goal for Rockville during the game.

In the sectional finals, the Rams faced a familiar Montgomery County face, the Damascus Hornets–who defeated the Rams 16-4. The squad fought hard but did not have a solution for the potent offense of the Hornets.

A key absence for the Rams’ on offense was attackman Peter Verity who was forced to sit out due to a concussion sustained during the second round game.

Junior Andrew Perez said he is happy with the team’s overall record, but is more excited about the prospects for next season.

“I think we played with passion and purpose all year. We didn’t make it to the state finals, but this is a big step forward for Rockville lacrosse and I think we’ll go even further next year,” Perez said.

RHS is returning many of its key starting lineup for next year’s team and the team has steadily improved over the past four years as the program develops and matures. While it loses nine seniors this year, there is a promising number of experienced players returning who can easily fill the void putting the program on solid footing for the future. Freshman Mason Wagner said he believes Rockville Lacrosse has much more to come.

“I think that Rockville Lacrosse in the future will go farther in the playoffs. The loss of our nine seniors will hurt us but we will rebuild as a team,” Wagner said.