New Basketball Coach Resurges Young Team

Allison DiFonzo, Features Managing Editor

New head coach Todd Dembroski joins the boys varsity basketball team for the 2015-16 season. He has coached the JV team at Magruder HS for the past five seasons and has also served as their assistant varsity coach.

“My goal for this season is for our team to reach its full potential on the court, in the classroom and in the community,” Dembroski said. “I want our team to be one that the students, staff and Rockville community will be proud of. My coaching staff and I will help the players to accomplish the goals that we set forth as a team. We will encourage and support them every step of the way.”

The new coach has hit the ground running and is busy preparing for the upcoming season. He has already interacted with the local middle and elementary schools to get kids excited about wanting to play basketball at RHS, this season.

“Coach Dembroski has played and coached at high levels and is familiar with this area,” Athletic Director Michael Hayes said. “He knows the type of student athletes from around here, so that should make connecting with them easy. I’m excited for him and the team. I think they’ll see his passion and commitment, and hopefully that will help the program grow.”

The hiring of Dembroski came after the departure of former head coach Steven Watson unexpectedly left RHS in the spring to take over the head coaching position at Clarksburg HS.

Watson coached the RHS JV team for four years and then the varsity team for an additional four. The positions ultimately prepared him for an opportunity at a bigger school. Under Coach Watson, the boys’ basketball team celebrated their most successful season in recent memory during the 2013-14 season recording a 17-7 record and advancing in the state playoffs.

Coach Dembroski inherits a young team that is clearly less experienced than last year’s. The veteran players are hoping for good things this winter.

“Although we have a very young varsity team, our goal for the season is to win the division title,”senior captain Roland Tandaju said. “My expectations are that everyone on the team tries their best and keeps working hard throughout the season.”