Lady Rams Lacrosse Shows Out Strong Against Wheaton

The varsity Lady Rams put on a dominate performance Friday night handily beating the Wheaton Knights 17-4 before a small, but enthusiastic, home crowd. The win gives the Rams a 4-2 record and marks the halfway point in their season.

Senior leadership was evident early. Leading the Rams in scoring was senior Kathleen McTighe. Her first goal, a few minutes into the game set the tone for the evening. The contest was never in doubt.

Great defensive play from freshman Jillian Krawczel and junior goalkeeper Lada Dementyeva allowed the team’s offense to open up.

Coach Caitlin Ulmer made several adjustments including moving senior Jenna Welkie to mid-field. Welkie did an admirable job taking the draws for the Rams.

“Playing different positions was a good experience and challenge for all of us because game experience is different and more rewarding than the experience we get in practice,” said sophomore midfielder Sarah DeYoung.

“We think we’ve really started to hit our stride,” said sophomore Amy Odenthal. “Since our first games of the year we haven’t won two consecutive games. I think our luck is getting ready to change for the better.”

Sophomore Sam Burt is optimistic about the second half of the season as well.

“Our current record is very similar to last year’s record. We think we have it figured out. Looking forward we hope to have more wins than losses at the end of the year,” said Burt. “With six games remaining, we think we’re really starting to gel as a team, and have a legitimate shot to make it deep into the postseason.”

The Rams travel to Kennedy on Monday evening.