New Coach, New Expectations

Senior captain Kathleen McTighe prepares for a free throw against Quince Orchard HS. The Lady Rams lost 45-39, making only nine of 20 free throws. Weaver now emphasizes practicing free throws because it will help win games. --Claudia Mirembe
Senior captain Kathleen McTighe prepares for a free throw against Quince Orchard HS. The Lady Rams lost 45-39, making only nine of 20 free throws. Weaver now emphasizes practicing free throws because it will help win games. –Claudia Mirembe

Kurtis Cross has given up his role coaching the girls varsity basketball team and physical education teacher Frank Weaver is back as head coach. Weaver hopes to lead the team to its first division title in 13 years.

Weaver coached girls basketball for eight years at RHS before retiring from the position’so he is already familiar with the program. He plans on changing the team’s dynamic and creating a sound basketball program. “We’re going to be a lot faster and a lot more aggressive on the court. I don’t care if you’re a freshman or a senior; if you’re good enough, you’re going to play,” Weaver said.

Team bonding is a big part of the girls’ success. They are all very close from playing together in past seasons and they traditionally have team sleepovers and dinners. The fact that they are friends outside of basketball helps them connect on the court.

Senior captain Kathleen McTighe has been on varsity since freshman year and she is glad to see Weaver back as head coach. “He has already shown how passionate and dedicated he is by putting in extra work with us, even in the mornings before school. He also brings a new and good level of intensity that we have been lacking the past few years,” McTighe said.

The Lady Rams’ roster has always been consistent, with 12 to 13 players on the team since 2011. This year, they only have 11 playersa��one of Weaver’s many changes. Other changes include the heightened intensity he brings as well as shifts in the offensive plays, focusing primarily on getting to the line and making free throws.

Losing alumni Rosemary Jones (2014) and Elizabeth Barrett (2014) took a toll on the team, but the current seniors have stepped up as leaders. “The seniors have been working hard in the off season and they have a lot to bring to the table this year. I have no doubt that they will carry the team throughout the season,” Barrett said.

Because the girls team is so small, underclassmen were pulled up to expand the team and replace the seniors. Many juniors and sophomores who are new to varsity were added to the team.

Even the JV team has gotten a taste of Weaver’s coaching style. “I noticed at tryouts that he’s very intense, but in a good way. He sets a high expectation for the girls,” freshman guard Kelly DiFonzo said.

The Lady Rams faced off against Whitman Dec. 9, taking a loss of 67-38. Leading scorers were junior Hazel Carmona and McTighe with 23 points combined.

The Lady Rams’ next game is Jan. 8 against Northwood HS.