Teacher and Secretary Awarded for Services

Resource teacher Julie James was awarded
Resource teacher Julie James was awarded “Teacher of the Year” by the Rotary Club of North. –Mercy Fosah

Family/Consumer Science teacher Julie James is this year’s winner of the annual Teacher of the Year award.

The annual award gives appreciation to staff members of RHS for their stellar teaching techniques. James teaches Child Development classes that help students better understand the growth and care of children.

The awards were given on April 7 at a staff meeting. “It was a big surprise to mea�� it was an honor to be recognized,” James said. “It’s unbelievablea�� when they said my name it didn’t register right away.” James has been teaching at RHS since 1999.

James’ students were proud and pleased with the award, thinking it suited her well. “I knew she would win. I’m glad she did; she deserved it,” junior Layla Eshack said.

The North Bethesda Rotary Club, an organization dedicated to community service, presented and sponsored the awards. The nominees for the award are chosen by their coworkers. The physical prizes are a plaque and a check.

The Rotary Club’s expectations for Teacher of the Year are “effective and dynamic teaching, evidence of going above and beyond to meet student needs, fairness and respect for all students and constant professional development.”

“This was my first experience with this a�� it is a big deal,” Principal Billie-Jean Bensen said of the award.

Also winning an award was attendance secretary Mary Norfolk for Outstanding Supporting Service Professional. “Staff members chose her … it was a pleasant surprise,” assistant principal Galit Zolkower.