Football Alumnus Accused of Rape

RHS alumnus Crusoe Gongbay (2011) was arrested and charged with two counts of second degree sexual penetration and one count of kidnapping, following the April 13 incident. Gongbay, a junior at the University of New Mexico (UNM) and a running-back for the Lobos, has since been suspended indefinitely from the football team.

The victim alleges that Gongbay and two other men kidnapped her from an off-campus party and raped her. Ryan Ruff, a 21-year-old who is not a student at the university, is charged with the same crimes as Gongbay.

Both suspects turned themselves in to authorities in response to arrest warrants. Gongbay’s bond is held at $50,000; Ruff’s bond is $100,000 cash or surety. Police are still searching for the third suspect.

“My client is no longer in school, has moved back home, and is receiving therapy,” the victim’s attorney said in a statement. “She and her family are concentrating on healing and recovery, one day at a time. She is counting her blessings and thankful to be alive.”

According to a press release from the university, on the night of the incident the victim returned to her dorm and told the Community Assistant that she was assaulted. The Community Assistant contacted campus police, who brought her to the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner. Collected evidence will be sent to the State Crime Lab in the midst of this ongoing investigation.

“The University of New Mexico takes charges of this nature very seriously,” Dean of Students Tomas Aguirre said in the release. “The Dean of Students office has met with the survivor and her family and offered our support and any other accommodations she might need. We have also connected her with the various resources available to her both on and off campus, including the UNM Women’s Resource Center and the Rape Crisis Center of New Mexico.”

At the request of Gongbay’s attorney, Judge Julie Altwies has allowed Gongbay to return to Maryland for three weeks after his last final exam, so long as he does not contact his accuser or his co-defendant.