Former Teacher Charged with Sex Abuse

Albert Einstein HS social studies teacher Richard Shemer was accused of sexual abuse of a minor, leading to his arrest by the Montgomery County Police at his residence Oct. 2. Shemer was also a former social studies and science teacher at RHS in 2009.

Detectives from the Montgomery County Police Family Crimes Division had received information from the female student’s parents that the student had been receiving inappropriate emails from Shemer. The victim and Shemer had developed a close relationship during the 2012-2013 school year.

Allegedly, the victim would visit Shemer’s classroom and converse with him about sex and sexual acts. These conversations would continue outside of school through emails from Shemer’s school and private emails.

Senior Neydah Reyes had Shemer as a social studies teacher at RHS.

“He picked on students,” Reyes said. “Yeah, sure he was a funny guy, but enough was enough.”

According to ABC 7 News, Montgomery County Police are still investigating the possibility that Shemer had asked the victim via email for a nude photo. The parents had intercepted an email with this inappropriate content and then contacted the police.

Shemer was in court again Nov. 1. He is being charged with one count of sex abuse of a minor,. Shemer was previously being held on a $250,000 bond but it was recently cut in half to $125,000. Sexual abuse charges can carry a sentence of up to 25 years

Because sexual abuse is a criminal offense, MCPS is planning to conduct an internal investigation after the police complete their investigation. MCPS officials placed Shemer on administrative leave when they became aware of the investigation. MCPSa�� Department of School Safety and Security is the county-wide department that is dedicated to promoting safe and secure environments for both students and staff.

“Staff members are here to help. If a teacher makes a student feel uncomfortable, hurt or inappropriate, the student should be able to tell a trusted adult in the building. It could be an administrator, counselor or just another teacher,” Principal Billie-Jean Bensen said.