Ambassador Program Adapts to Major Increase in Members

Sophomore ambassador Katrina Le helps parents find their assigned classrooms according to their childrens’ schedule during Back to School Night on Aug. 29. –Adam Bensimhon

Sophomore ambassador Katrina Le helps parents find their assigned classrooms according to their childrens' schedule during Back to School Night on Aug. 29. --Adam Bensimhon

Many school wide events, such as Freshman Orientation and Back to School Night, have benefiited from the recent increase of RHSa�� Ambassadors Program.

The Ambassador Program consists of a group of students who are representatives of the school and are called upon to help provide tours for new students and assist school events. The major events that the ambassadors attend are freshmen orientation, Back to School Night and Career Day.

As the Ambassador Program became more known, there were a significant amount of new students who applied. This increased the club’s numbers from the 56 ambassadors last year to 83 in the current school year.

History teacher Steve Watson said, “I question whether or not all the ambassadors are always doing work when they’re here, especially where there is a large amount,” referring to Freshman Orientation. The increase of ambassadors causes concerns.

Senior Sean Jordan, who is in his second year as an ambassador, said, “I think it is better because it enables more people to spread out and help other people instead of being limited to helping one person.”

The advisor of the Ambassador Program, Debra Williams, grouped ambassadors into four different groups with a team leader. Williams had a meeting with her team leaders on how to set up for Freshman Orientation and maintain their groups. She assigned each group to a different school event to attend during their assigned quarter of the year.

Since some of the ambassadors escorted the freshman to their homeroom while others were hallway guides during orientation, Williams said, “It ran so much smoother.” However, with the increase of ambassadors there are a few tweaks that could be made such as limiting the number of ambassadors to possibly two groups instead of all four. Williams is still learning and reflecting on past events with hopes she can improve the program.