Students With Tattoos

Senior Eddie Hernandez models is ten tattoos, this one of angels. Hernandez got his first tattoo when he was only 15 years old. --Michelle Blassou
Senior Eddie Hernandez models is ten tattoos, this one of angels. Hernandez got his first tattoo when he was only 15 years old. –Michelle Blassou

When looking at the current generations fashion choices, a major trend standing above the rest is tattoos. They are just as popular as ever, so do not be in shock when even grandma comes home with one.

The art of body ink has been in society seemingly as long as civilization has been in existence. What was once seen as a taboo practice that only a few rebellious individuals took part in has become a common way for people of all sorts of styles to express themselves. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), 24 percent of people ages 18-50 have a tattoo.

A handful of students at RHS have been seen sporting their body ink around the school hallways. Is this the best idea though? “The image of a high school student with a tattoo isn’t the best one,” said special education teacher Robert Stohlman. Stohlman got a tattoo of Marvin the Martian on his shoulder when he was in high school primarily in part due to peer pressure. It was out of impulse and he regrets it, and stresses that teenagers should wait until they know what they truly want.

Teens who become unhappy with their tattoos later do have options. There are laser removal surgeries, creams or excision, which may cause scars. Laser may be able to remove the tattoo without scarring, but will require a lot of treatment. The AAD also reports that 17 percent of those with tattoos had at one point considered removing it.

Another primary concern of teenagers getting tattoos is how it may affect their relationship with their parents. While studying abroad in France, senior Laura Garvie took a risk and got a tattoo without parental consent. When her parents saw her bald eagle tattoo, they were outraged. “My parents were furious,” said Garvie, “but I think getting it as a teenager was a good idea, it will help cherish a fun time in my life.”

The underlying fact about tattoos is that teens must be 18 years old to legally get one. The idea of permanent designs on their children cause parents to cringe with anxiety. “If you have something special, then getting a tattoo shouldn’t be a problem. Getting it without thinking about it isn’t smart,” said senior Eddie Hernandez. Hernandez got his first tattoo when he was 15 years old and has since acquired nine more tattoos.

When moving on to life after college, the tattoos from younger years may turn out to be a mistake when applying for jobs. Another aspect to put into consideration is where it will be placed. A spot covered up by clothes regularly would be a safe route, like the chest or ankle: the two most popular parts of the body.