RG3 Bandwagons

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III dives for a first down in the first half against Seattle Seahawks during the first round of the NFC wild-card playoff game at FedEx Field in Landover, Maryland, Sunday, January 6, 2013. Courtesy of MCT Campus

Many people consider Robert Griffin III to be the savior of the Redskins, but most people do not know that he was born in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. Every day, Redskins fans complain about the burden that is being a diehard Redskins fan but now there is a new subject at hand: Bandwagons.

Fans from RHS all the way to fans who regularly attend Redskins games are complaining about people that decided to become “fans” due to the team’s recent success. Sophomore Drew Denion said “I’ve been a Redskins all my life through thick and thin; I don’t like all these people liking the “skins’ because we are having a good season.” Denion is not the only person who feel this way.

Most people credit the recent success of the Redskins to rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III, or his more commonly used nickname, RG3. Although RG3 is only a rookie, he has one of the highest quarterback ratings in the league. He also runs his 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds which is the fastest time of any NFL player. RG3 has many awards and medals that prove why the Redskins went through a lot to receive RG3 second in the draft.

The students of RHS are not the only people who support the Redskins. Even teachers like to show their Redskin spirit by wearing t-shirts and jerseys to class. Science resource teacher Dr. Terri Ravick said, “The more the merrier. Even though there happen to be “hop-ona�� fans this year, they’re bringing more hype to the franchise.”

Many people agree that bandwagon fans are not the real heart of the Redskins fan base, but other people don’t agree. If people can’t like a team without being criticized, what team should they like? True fans believe that they should like a team that isn’t successful to be a true fan. Either way, if you like a team, you are going to be criticized for nothing.