Starr Delivers First Address And Inspires to Uphold MCPS’ National Reputation

MCPS Superintendent Dr. Joshua Starr speaks at the State of the Schools address Nov. 12. He advocates closing the learning gap in racial groups. –Adam Bensimhon

Strathmore’s Music Center hosted MCPS Superintendent Dr. Joshua Starr’s first annual State of the Schools address Nov. 12. Dr. Starr celebrated the success of MCPS students and shared his ideas for the future of the school system.

To begin his speech, Dr. Starr expressed his gratitude toward working for MCPS. He said, “At the time [I first started working here] I said I had the best job in American public education, and I’m happy to report seventeen months later that I still feel the same way.”

In addition to the principals of all the MCPS schools, students from around the county performed at the event while many other spectators also went to hear Dr. Starr’s speech.

RHS senior Greg Brown was invited to the address by executive members of MCPS and was able to see Dr. Starr’s determination in making MCPS even more successful. Brown said, “It was amazing to me to see all that MCPS has accomplished in the past couple years. It really made me appreciate the school system.”

Prior to the speech, many MCPS executive members shadowed a variety of students, including Brown, throughout Montgomery County. All of those students had been present at the Nov. 12 address.

Dr. Starr congratulated those students on their accomplishments. “They are shining examples of the dedication of our employed, the support of their families and most of all their own hard work and sheer determination to succeed,” said Dr. Starr.

Because MCPS is a successful, nationally ranked school system, he wants to continue to bring success to students. Dr. Starr said, “We must build on our many strengths while not resting on our past sucesses.”