First RHS Fall Show Directed by Sato Expected To Be Unforgettable

“It Was A Dark And Stormy Night” is playing Thursday, November 29 at 7 p.m., Friday, November 30 at 7 p.m. and Saturday December 1 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Poster Credit of Toby Lin

Love a good mystery? Then head to the fall play “It Was a Dark and Stormy Night” by Tim Kelly. The cast and crew have spent many hours of hard work to prepare for the opening night of the play Nov. 29.

Play director and English teacher Dana Sato predicts an unforgettable turnout of this play. Sato said, “We all know each other and know how we work, so this will turn out pretty well.” This is Sato’s first year directing at RHS, but she has worked with the previous director for about four years.

The play takes place in Massachusetts at the Ye Old Wayside Inn, where many strange and abnormal events occur. The inn is haunted by the ghost of an old deceased soldier who died when he deserted Valley Forge. Foul weather brings out the dark streak of an inn keeper and he begins to lure victims to the inn for “safety” from the storm.

Various strangers including a detective, some young nurses, a couple of college students, a state trooper and a witness of the brutal crime are forced to spend a night in the Inn. Not everyone appears to be who he or she claims to be. Who will survive this dark and stormy night?

The mysterious plot seems guaranteed to give the audience goose bumps. Freshman Skye Nielsen said, “I am looking forward to this play because I love mysteries and I am curious to find out how the ending of the play will turn out.”

Sato has dedicated much time taking care of logistics and making sure the students are working to their highest potential. All 23 cast members devote a lot of their own time outside of practice to memorize their lines and stage movements in time for the opening night.

Play practice is every day of the week after school for several hours. During practice the students rehearse lines, do run-throughs, make props and create a stage set-up. Freshman Kate Horwich said, “The actors are working hard with their lines, and the crew is working hard with the sets, costumes and tech.”

The students of RHS have spent many hours preparing and rehearsing. Be sure to check out the performances on: Nov. 29 and Nov. 30 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 1 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and $8 for adults.