New Security Guards Take Charge

Moot Camut is the newest security guard and is the new offensive line coach. Camut and fellow security guard Kelly Martinez work to ensure the safety of students. –Adam Bensimhon

When most students think of a security guard, they think of strict, firm authoritarians. However, they are mainly just here to help. Football Coach Moot Camut and Kelly Martinez are new on the job this year working as security guards.Martinez and Moot may be fresh faces to most people, but they are not new at RHS. Both Montgomery County alumni have previously worked in the building. Moot previously worked at RHS as security for four years and Martinez has worked as a Hispanic Parent Coordinator and para-educator for the past two years.

Both guards have graduated from high school in MCPS, but went to college out of state. Moot graduated from Churchill High School and went to the University of Miami on a full football scholarship. Martinez Graduated from Kennedy High School and went to Montgomery college before transferring to Marymount Manhattan College in New York City.

Moot has found a good home at RHS, saying “I love teaching kids by showing them how to do things correctly, whether it’s in a classroom or football field.” Out of every school he has worked at Moot said, “Rockville is my favorite. Everyone is nice and everyone works together.”

Moot has worked in MCPS for the past 22 years as a security guard, substitute teacher, para-educator and football coach. He started working at Quince Orchard High School as a substitute teacher and coach for 10 years until moving to Magruder High School for four years as a security guard and coach. He then moved to RHS with the same job for four years. Moot moved again back to Quince Orchard for another four years and is now here.

Martinez is all about helping others. Her favorite part of her job is working with students, and her least favorite would be the times she is not working with students. RHS a great fit for her, since she said “I absolutely love RHS and the staff.

Martinez has not always worked for the county. Before coming to RHS, she worked with the American Red Cross in New York, NY and in El Salvador giving humanitarian aid. She also has a job helping the country by serving in the National Guard. She currently serves in the National Guard and works as a military police officer outside of school.

Senior Jordan Lang said “it’s good that the new security guards are moving around and always there to help me.” Being helpful is an important part of the security guards’ job and both hope to have a positive effect on RHS.