Homework Center Helps Students Finish Work and Stay Motivated

Members of the Homework Center collaborate on their schoolwork together — Adam Bensimhon

Distracted students now have a quiet place to do their homework: Homework Center. Here students have access to computers, National Honor Society (NHS) tutors and, every Wednesday, a retired math teacher from Montgomery College.

Academic internship and reading teacher Christina Sutter created the Homework Center. She is interested in promoting student success in all areas. “I met with a group of tenth graders a couple years ago to ask what would improve their grades,” Sutter said. The answer was a quiet place with computer access and without the distractions that come with doing homework at home.

Homework Center gives students a chance to finish all their homework at school rather than wait until they get home to start it. Junior Denisha Smith said, “It helps a lot. Before Homework Center, I would go home and procrastinate a lot, but now I get all my homework done in a quiet place before I go home.”

Homework Center was originally “Homework Club” but Sutter wanted to emphasize that anyone can join. She had the name changed to “Homework Center” to convey the message that it is open to everyone. One NHS tutor and five students, on average, attend each day. Homework Center meets Tuesday through Friday from 2:15 to 4:15 p.m. in room 3004. The program is open to any students who need help regardless of class level.