After Prom Meets Excited Expectations

Among the vast array of decoration for after prom, cutouts of Spiderman and the Green Goblin were features hanging from the ceiling. — Photo by Jessica Bauer, RHS parent

As students entered After Prom, they were greeted with a full gymnasium of blown up obstacle courses, an inflatable game of Twister and a mechanical bulla��every high school student’s utopia.

After prom was held at the Longwood Community Center in Olney from one to five a.m. and there were numerous activities to keep the night alive. Some of these activities included a roulette table and a DJ. Often times, seniors anticipate after prom more than prom itself. “After prom was the best part of the night. Everyone was able to just hang out,” said graduating senior Will Minger.

The purpose of after prom is to give students a place to go where they can be supervised and not engage in dangerous activities such as heavy drinking. The creation of after prom was set up as a precaution to prevent these activities from occurring.

RHS parent Jessica Bauer has been the decorating coordinator for two years for after prom. She came up with all the ideas for decorations, and then made them come to life. This year’s theme for after prom was cartoons, just as homecoming halls for seniors. “We saved a lot of the decorations from the seniors’ hall to use,” said Bauer.

The Longwood Community center was broken up into three main sections, all of which had different types of cartoons. The gym was SpongeBob themed, the middle room with the pool tables was decorated with Looney Tunes cartoons and the dance hall was filled with Marvel characters such as Spiderman and the Green Goblin, who hung from the ceiling.

This year’s budget for after prom was much lower than last yearsa��, and therefore the committee had to be more creative with simple materials for decorations. “80 percent of the decorations were made with paper and I spent less than half of what I spent last year on decorations,” said Bauer.

All of the various activities kept students entertained for the whole night. The after prom proved itself to not only be entertaining, but also resourceful. After Prom was well attended and for the most part, most students stayed for the whole duration of it.