Prom 2012 Enjoyable for All

Students gather in gowns and tuxedos to pose for pictures in front of the Spirit of Baltimore on prom night. — Photo by Hayley Egart

With cameras flashing, young adults dressed in elegant gowns and tuxedos boarding the Spirit of Baltimore, one may assume that these were celebrities on the red carpet. No; these were students attending the RHS prom.

Dusk approached as students gathered at Baltimore’s Inner Harbor and boarded the gleaming Spirit of Baltimore cruise liner for what was surely one of the most anticipated, and hopefully most memorable, night of their young lives.

On a state of the art cruise, students were offered three levels: the first floor for dinner and two for dancing. As the ship left at eight oa��clock they began the night with dinner, consisting of chicken, mashed potatoes, roast beef and macaroni. Then, they proceeded to dance for a few hours. “It wasn’t like homecoming where there was just dancing; it was more of a social event,” said junior Angela DiFonzo, who attended with senior Preston Carmines.

Time flew by as the ship boarded at 11 p.m., and the students were off to after prom. Many activities were offered to students there; moonbounces, laser tag and one of the most popular rides, the mechanical bull. Raffles and contests were held where one lucky student, senior Joseph Tran, won an iPad.

However, many people were disappointed with the after prom. “I wanted to have fun and not be treated like a three year old,” said sophomore Emily Kjellman, who attended with her senior boyfriend. After prom was a barrier to prevent alcohol consumption after the dance. Moon bounces and laser tag do not necessarily appeal to high school students anticipating what is supposed to be the best night of their young lives.

Regardless of the after prom, there was a mutual agreement that prom was overall enjoyable. “All my friends and I thought it was really fun, definitely better than last years,” said senior Antonis Mikalis. Dinner, dancing and a boat all call for a memorable night, and this years prom definitely met the standards.