Montgomery County Council to Vote on Curfew Law Nov. 6

After months of meetings, council discussions and local press coverage, the Montgomery County Council will vote Nov. 6 whether or not to instate a curfew for minors that prohibits teenagers from being out after 11 p.m. on weeknights and midnight on weekends.

County executive Isiah Leggett proposed the curfew, formally known as Expedited Bill 25-11, July 12. With the curfew enacted, county residents under 18, whether involved in violent acts or not, could be fined for being out past the specified time. “The curfew [would put] you under house arrest when you have not done a crime, which is against due process,” said sophomore Marisa Clery, in opposition to the bill.

Other students opposed to the curfew claim that it takes away the rights of the younger county residents. They cite the Silver Spring fight that occurred July 1 as an isolated event, and the lack of similar preceding or succeeding events. Others opposed to the curfew, including Councilman Phil Andrews, have spoken out about statistics showing a decline of student violence during late hours without a curfew in place.

However, those in favor of a countywide curfew argue that the problem does not always lie in those from Montgomery County themselves, noting that minors from Prince George’s County, where a curfew is in place, have begun to cross the county line to cause trouble. “It applies more to people that would be causing havoc and more problems at that time,” said sophomore Erica Ferguson.

The Metropolitan Police Department is reminding parents that the curfew law for young people under the age of 17 that is in place for Washington, D.C., applies to Montgomery County residents visiting the district as well. The D.C. curfew is in place on weekdays from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. and on weekends from midnight to 6 a.m.