Varsity Sports Year in Review

Photo by Emily Reynolds

Varsity baseball had a 10-7 record for the 2019 season. They lost to the Magruder Colonels in the second round of playoffs.

Jack Horan and Daniel Pujo

Over the course of the 2018-19 school year, the RHS athletic program had many successes as well as some hardships, making this year one of the most successful in recent memory for many teams. The football team bounced back by increasing their win total by four; the girls basketball team had their best record in three years; and the co-ed volleyball team won their division for the fourth time in the last five years. Here’s an in-depth look on how certain teams stood out during each season of the school year.

Fall

Football

The football team improved immensely from last year, sporting a 4-6 record under new head coach Jason Lomax. The team improved by four wins after having a winless season the year before. Players felt that Lomax’s coaching impacted them and how they played during the season.   

“Last season was rough, we didn’t win a game, but Lomax brought so much power and work ethic to the team, his coaching and our hard work is how we improved,” sophomore linebacker and kicker Eric Giron said.

Field Hockey

Field hockey had another 7-7 campaign, replicating their record from last year. Junior midfielder Kaelyn Mashburn was recognized for her effort, being named an All-Met honorable mention for this past season. The team moved through the first round of playoffs beating Kennedy Cavaliers 4-0.  

“From top to bottom the whole team played well,” junior forward Brianna Barnes said. “I’m excited to see what the team brings us next season.”

Boys Soccer

The boys soccer team had another winning season, going 8-7-1, and winning one playoff game against Watkins Mill High School (HS) before losing to Manchester Valley HS in the second round. Senior defender and first year player Chris Rindov was recognized for his efforts and was given an All-Met honorable mention. Rindov will be attending the University of Maryland College Park this fall and will be attempting to join Maryland soccer as a walk-on, he said.  

“In my one year playing for Rockville, I will never forget it, the team grew so much and it was so fun while it lasted,” Rindov said.

Winter

Girls Basketball

The girls basketball team had a bounce-back season this year sporting a 14-10 record after going 4-18 the year before. The season was highlighted by the arrival of freshman twin guards Nia and Naila Newman who functioned as court generals for the team.

“I’m excited for next year,” junior Aimee Sunier said, “I believe that we can do something special with the team we have next season.”

Boys Basketball

The boys basketball team earned an 11-11 record coming off a division championship win the previous season. With almost the same core as last year, junior forward Jailen Anderson proved to be an important addition to the team, providing crucial scoring during critical moments. The season came to an end when the team lost a close game to Westminster HS in the second round of the playoffs.

“While it wasn’t the ending that we wanted, I know that we will learn from this very tough defeat so that we go farther next year,”Anderson said.

Wrestling

Varsity wrestling had a strong showing this year, though their 6-8 record did not reflect that. The team was showcased by performances from junior Nathaniel Eig, sophomore captain Conner Pace and sophomore Sean Kelly.

“Our turnout of wrestlers doubled since last year. Wrestlers showed they cared and worked hard everyday. I am very excited to see what our young team does in the future,”  Pace said.

Spring

Baseball

The baseball team had a good season, going 10-7, but lost to the Magruder Colonels 1-0 in extra innings in the second round of the playoffs. Though the team did not win the division for the second year in a row, they played well, earning them another winning record, which has been the case for the past four years.

“Losing the way we did sucked. We could have gone so much further, but I’m confident that the returning players and I will bounce back stronger,” sophomore shortstop Donovan Shekdar said.

Boys Lacrosse

The boys lacrosse team had a good season finishing 8-6 before losing to eventual 3A state champions Westminster HS in the playoffs. Four RHS players received accolades for their play this season: senior Johnathan Brake on the first team of the 2019 MCLCA 3A/2A All-Division Team and seniors Teddy Bilodeau and Ryan Kelly, as well as sophomore Timmy Kren, being on the second team of the 2019 MCLCA 3A/2A All-Division Team.

“As a whole we’re all very happy with the season. We lost to the defending state champions in the playoffs so we can’t be mad about that. I’m definitely going to miss playing with my brothers,” Kelly said.

Girls Lacrosse

The girls lacrosse team also had some success, going 8-6 for the season. The team was led by sophomore Paige Krawczel and juniors Monica Blassou and Colleen Barrett who managed to combine for 178 points in the season, which made up two thirds of the team’s total points.

“I felt that the team bonded and we had a great record. Everyone improved so much and I can’t wait to see what we will do next year,” junior Kate Holland said.

Teddy Bilodeau, Paige Krawczel, Monica Blassou and Colleen Barrett are all Rampage staff.