‘Avengers: Endgame’ Properly Closes 10 Years of Big Marvel Movies

Avengers%3A+Endgame+is+the+final+chapter+in+the+Avengers+saga+and+closes+a+long+run+of+Marvel+movies+focused+on+this+storyline.++

Artwork by Marvel Studios

“Avengers: Endgame” is the final chapter in the Avengers saga and closes a long run of Marvel movies focused on this storyline.

Casey Majewski, Staff Writer

Walking into a quiet, dark theater, filled to the brim with people, everyone nervously waited for one of most anticipated movies of all time to start. As the movie began and the huge Marvel logo appeared on screen, the excitement in the dark theater was palpable.

The Avengers movie saga completed April 26 when the finale, “Avengers: Endgame,” was released to theaters. Already surpassing “Titanic,” the previous second highest-grossing movie of all time, “Endgame” has brought in more money than any other Marvel Cinematic Universe movie in the past and is fairly close to making the same amount, if not more, than “Avatar,” the highest-grossing movie of all time.

By the conclusion of the prequel, “Infinity War,” the Avengers were left with no hope and less than half of their team. The mood of  “Infinity War” carried into “Avengers: Endgame” as every Avenger who remained was left with a feeling of extreme guilt and worthlessness.    

Despite falling into a depressive slump and parting ways, the Avengers were able to regroup and find a way to bring back the rest of humanity and destroy Thanos, their ultimate villain.

The movie had a detailed and well thought out plot that tied most of the loose ends together including the fates of Ant Man, Iron Man and Nebula, as well as the Avengers who managed to survive the mass deletion.

In “Endgame,” the Avengers go back in time, revisiting parts from their previous movies. The seriousness of the events mixed with light-hearted humor from the superheroes allows for the revisitation to connect well with the last movie of the saga. The scenes were emotional or suspenseful, but the mix of comedy made them funny and relaxing as well.

In addition to the comedic value, “Avengers: Endgame” displays the clear image of bravery that the Marvel superheroes are known for as they are faced with fear and danger, as well as keeping the audience engaged and excited.

The movie captures the audience’s attention largely by the emotion Marvel incorporates into the story, as well as the continuously unfolding events. The emotion reached a point where it was so intense and serious, it could make the audience tear-up. Other times, the comedy allowed for viewers to sit back and laugh, taking a break from sitting on the edge of their seats. Over the duration of three hours, people were filled with many mixed emotions.

While the movie is excellent and well-planned, it does have some downsides. A few of the character’s stories– Gamora, Black Panther, and Bucky– do not come to a close, and the audience is left to contemplate what might have happened to them.

Also, the fate of a few of the Avengers in the end shouldn’t have been the final outcome, including a few untimely deaths and disappearances.

“They could have made it so he [Iron Man] didn’t die, he retired. Cause that would have completed his story arc,” sophomore Michael Carmi said. “He went from selfish and a playboy, and he could have gone over to become a family man at the end, but instead he died, which [is why] I feel like his story arc is incomplete.”

Aside from these few downsides, the movie is superb. The actors and actresses who play the famed superheroes are able to accurately portray all of them so well that the audience feels a strong connection and attachment to them.

“Avengers: Endgame” is a worthy conclusion to the Avengers saga, providing answers and attention to detail that can’t be matched. Marvel fans will enjoy the movie, as the many high standards and expectations for the finale are, in fact, fulfilled.

And as the movie drew to a close, thunderous applause could be heard throughout Regal Cinemas as people clapped for an Avengers movie one last time.