$18 & Under: Sisters Sandwiches & Such

Photo by Leyla Akselioglu

Sisters Sandwiches located in Olney is set in an historic log cabin style building.

Leyla Akselioglu, Staff Writer

The smell of freshly toasted bread wafts through Sisters’ Sandwiches & Such at the historic Higgins Tavern on Georgia Avenue. as customers chat over their unique meals, each crafted to their specific needs. The vibrant, radiant colors of the store catch any customer’s eye, but it is the wide variety of affordable sandwiches, soups and salads that make them stay.

In June 2010, two sisters, Kim Carlson and Tammy Prestipino, made preparing delicious, always fresh sandwiches their mission; they opened Sisters’ Sandwiches & Such, commonly referred to as Sisters’ Sandwiches. Conveniently located in Olney, their hours range from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday through Friday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

After arriving at the striking historical cottage-like building, customers choose from an array of different sandwiches, soups and salads written above the cashier and display case. The menu is seasonal and offers a variety of sides to complete any meal. Once orders are taken, customers seat themselves at either the outdoor patio or the upstairs dining area. Sprinkled throughout the indoor seating areas are local, handmade items that customers can purchase, while simultaneously adding a warm, homelike atmosphere to the restaurant.  

Crafting and providing a sandwich to each customer’s specifications is a tedious task, but Sisters’ Sandwiches is able to meet the needs of everyone who walks through their white, wooden door.

They do this in multiple ways; employees test newer sandwiches in order to guarantee satisfaction and on the rare occasion a mistake is made, the staff said they always own up and try to fix it to the best of their ability.

The barbeque chicken sandwich, in the short time since it has been on the menu, has become a customer favorite and is a good choice for students. Unlike classic barbeque chicken sandwiches, this one includes shredded chicken with Mambo barbeque sauce on a toasted baguette topped with lettuce, tomato and onion. The paired blend of Mambo barbeque sauce and chicken can be overwhelming upon first bite, but quickly evens out as the lettuce, tomato and onion add in a fresher taste to complete the well crafted sandwich.

While ingredients are not organic, they are locally sourced, and Carlson and Prestipino are conscious about the ingredients used in meals. Their soups are made from scratch and almost all of the sauces are homemade. They slice their own meat and produce and are now providing gluten-free and vegan options.

The prices vary depending on the meal, but salads and sandwiches typically range from $6.59-$9.99, a nice deal for the average student. All sandwiches are served with a pickle and customers are provided the option to add shredded chicken, tuna or egg salad to any salad for $3.29.

Sisters’ Sandwiches is more than just a sandwich shop, it has established itself as a community where everyone helps each other. Despite some higher end choices with steeper prices, the tasteful food and plentiful portions mixed with the friendly community truly create an experience that makes customers want to keep coming back.  

“With the love and support of the community and staff, we are still thriving. It has been a pleasure to serve them,” Prestipino said.