Zion Williamson Will Remain On Everyone’s Radar

Image Courtesy of Keenan Hairston

Daniel Pujo, Sports Managing Editor

Steal by Zion Williamson. Here comes the enormous 6’7, 285 pound forward, speeding past all of his opponents. Williamson’s head is at the rim as he slams down a 360° dunk with ease. While a spectacle like this is usually rare, the nation sees it all the time from this five star high-flyer.

With the end of March Madness, the world has witnessed the impact Williamson has on the game and with the NBA draft approaching, Williamson will surely be drafted in the top three.

Williamson played for the Duke Blue Devils Men’s Division 1 basketball team during the 2018-19 year. Starting for Duke is an accomplishment in itself, but what he has brought to the team and achieved personally has propelled him into the national spotlight. Williamson can score from anywhere, rebounds like a center, defend all five positions and helps set up his teammates to score.

As just a freshman, Williamson averaged 22.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per game according to ESPN statistics. During each game of the NCAA season, Williamson was the player on every opponent’s radar. Even in the NBA, he will be a threat to any opponent’s defense.

The Blue Devils’ season ended after a 68-67 loss to the Michigan State Spartans in the NCAA Elite Eight. Despite the loss, Williamson did not disappoint as he led all scorers and rebounders with 24 points and 14 rebounds. This star freshman is bringing a new type of style to the basketball culture.

Before the Blue Devils Elite Eight matchup with the Michigan State Spartans, Spartans head coach Tom Izzo joked that in order to guard Williamson he would have to bring in Chicago Bears pro bowl linebacker Khalil Mack to shut him down.

He is combining the old school “bully ball” played by Charles Barkley and at the same time brings his 45-inch vertical into a high-flying fast-paced transition game.

Having a 45-inch vertical allows for Zion to leap higher than almost every single opponent in the NCAA and that will translate to the NBA.

Few players come to mind with his size comparable to former Lakers center and Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal, but with the jumping ability of 2000 dunk contest winner Vince Carter.

Williamson’s huge frame allows him to body his way through defenders; if he has a smaller man on him, he will muscle them down. Put a taller player on him and he will use his speed and agility to drive by them.

Williamson is a beast. Nobody can guard him in the paint or meet him at the rim when he goes up for a dunk.

If Williamson develops a jump shot, he could potentially be compared to big names like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. Once he reaches his peak in the NBA, he will dominate anybody who gets in his way on the court.