Top Venues in the Area for Students to See Concerts

Photo by Monica Blassou

Fans pack into the new venue, the Anthem, Dec. 15, 2017 to see Lil Uzi Vert perform.

Teddy Bilodeau, Staff Writer

Bass vibrating from wall to wall. Music pounding from the large speakers hanging from the ceiling. The crowd jumps along to the music, shaking the floor. The artist grabs the microphone and asks the crowd how they’re doing; the response is made up of screams and a sea of phones snapping photos.

The artist isn’t the only aspect that goes into making a concert a great time. The venue plays a huge role in making an enjoyable atmosphere for concert-goers. Whether it’s inside or outside, food, drinks and setting all play a part in making a memorable night. Each venue varies in size, distance and location attracting all kinds of different global talent. The Rampage took a look at a few local indoor and outdoor venues to spotlight some of the best spots for students to experience a concert.

The Anthem – Washington D.C.

The Anthem is the newest venue of the three, which opened Oct. 16, 2017 and has a modern feel to it with an industrial entrance. It is located on Wharf street in the southwest waterfront neighborhood of Washington D.C. Concert-goers can travel there by metro or by car in about an hour. This venue has a moveable stage which allows the capacity to range from 2,500-6,000 people at events.

Junior Lizzie Weir, who enjoys going to concerts with friends, has been to The Anthem a few times and appreciates its design.

“[I enjoy] the spacious layout of the venue and how you can see the stage from just about anywhere you are inside,” she said.

The Anthem has some exciting shows coming up in the next three months that might be appealing to students including IHEARTRADIO’S Blossom Bash with Meghan Trainor headlining the event and Max and Jake Miller performing April 4, Kenny Chesney April 19, Kodak Black and Roddy Ricch April 24 Lil Pump and Lil Skies May 8 and JUICE WRLD May 17.

The Fillmore – Silver Spring

The Fillmore in downtown Silver Spring is the closest in proximity out of all the venues. It is a 25-minute drive from RHS. But, the fastest way to get there is by metro. This venue features two parallel high tops on opposite sides of each other that stretch the length of the main area serving food and drinks. The Fillmore can hold roughly 2,000 people for any single event and it hosts many artists that attract a younger audience.

English teacher Jessie Rutter enjoys going to The Fillmore compared to other venues due to its convenient proximity.

“It’s so close that you can take an uber or have someone drop you off,” Rutter said. “You can get in and out pretty quickly and it feels like a small intimate venue, but it is also big enough to where you’re not seeing the same people over and over.”

Upcoming shows are DABABY and Yung Manny April 5, DMV springfest with Key Glock, Lightshow, Moneymarr and more April 17, and J.I.D with Saba and MEZ May 3.

Jiffy Lube Live – Bristow, Va.

Jiffy Lube Live is both the largest and farthest away from RHS. It is also the only outside venue of the three. The drive is about an hour and a half depending on traffic. With a capacity of over 25,000, this venue attracts the biggest names in the music industry.

Berklee College of Music committ, Franco Ferruzo, appreciates the large capacity of the venue.

“You are able to see a lot of people you know and meet new people as well, which makes the experience one to remember,” Ferruzo said.

Along with its larger size, Jiffy Lube has many more features than other venues including many more food and drink options than The Anthem and The Fillmore. There are three different ticket options when purchasing for an event: either being in the mosh pit, stadium seating, or lawn (general admission).

Upcoming shows include  country superstars Florida Georgia Line Aug. 3, rock band icon KISS Aug. 11 and the Zac Brown Band Aug. 25.