Rams’ Foul Trouble Helps End Season with .500 Record

Jack Welch, Staff Writer

Boys varsity basketball (11-11) fell to the Westminster Owls (15-6) 54-51 March 4 in the sectional semifinals at Westminster High School, putting an end to their 2018-19 season.

The Owls opened the game from the free-throw line due to a technical foul given to the Rams for dunking in warm-ups, which violated a Maryland state rule in which players are not allowed to touch the rim during warm ups or before the game begins.

The Owls used the opening points as momentum and scored another basket on their opening drive giving them a 4-0 lead after their first possession. Although the Owls got a strong lead, multiple fastbreak opportunities would keep the game close, finishing the first quarter with the Rams down 11-10.

Due to the Rams’ poor shooting, the Owls were able to maintain a solid lead to close out the first half leading 32-23. Foul trouble for the Rams also kept the Owls on the free throw line and the Rams shot one for 16 from the three point line which did not help in trying to regain the lead.

Senior captain forward Matt McTighe led a late fourth quarter run, scoring on back-to-back possessions and finishing the game with eight points. Senior captain Je’shaud Armwood led the team with 10 points.

As the clock was ticking down in the fourth quarter, Rams were down one, guard Daniel Pujo passed the ball into the post to center Jimmy Sorunke who failed to complete the game tying basket.

Missing an opportunity to win the game, the Owls grabbed the rebound and ran the fastbreak only to get fouled and sent to the free throw line to make the final two free throws, bringing the Rams’ season to an end.

Players were solemn after the game, reflecting on the game and their basketball careers at RHS.

“I really wanted to win a regional and state championship for Rockville, but when it’s all said and done I didn’t accomplish that,” senior guard Rajuan Stevens said. “We didn’t play to our full potential this game and I feel like we progressed on the way to this game, but we let this one slip away.”