The Ultimate Review: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Jack Horan, Staff Writer

Nintendo’s Super Smash Bros. has triumphantly returned to the spotlight grabbing the attention of fans with its newest edition, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, which is only available on the Nintendo Switch gaming system. With 74 fighters, over 100 stages and 24 hours of story mode to play, this game has a lot of variety, making sure playing it never gets old.

Super Smash Bros. was first released by Nintendo in 1999 for the Nintendo 64 game system and was instantly a success due to its high-action gameplay and the amount of times one can play the game and not get bored of it. The game has many variations, according to the different systems Nintendo has released.

The Nintendo Switch was released March 2017 as a portable gaming device. The console was released with the game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and was followed by popular games such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and Super Mario Party.

The highly desired Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was announced to be released on the Nintendo Switch March 8, 2018. When the game released Dec. 7, 2018, it was an instant success gaining great reviews including a 9.4 out of 10 rating from Imagine Games Network.

Senior Xander Langsam plays the game constantly, bringing his system to school to play Super Smash Bros. against other students.

“The game is so fun and easily my favorite game on the [Nintendo] Switch,” Langsam said. “It [is] well worth the wait to play this game.”

While the game has received a lot of positive reviews, some people complained about Waluigi once again being left off the roster. Waluigi has been an important character in the Mario franchise for years and for him to not be included on the roster disappointed some people.

“While not having Waluigi in the game is a disappointment, the game is still amazing and is really fun,” junior Kylie Boyd said.

The game includes many different maps with themes related to certain Nintendo games such as Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda and even Pokemon. The maps also include worlds from older versions of Super Smash Bros. from Nintendo consoles such as the Nintendo 64, Wii and the Nintendo 3DS.

“The selection of maps in this game is amazing, it certainly makes the game more fun,” sophomore Bobby Fellman said.

Super Smash Bros. has done it again, making another great game that players have generally positive reviews, which could make the game the most popular one of 2019.

Correction: The first edition of Super Smash Bros. was mistakenly reported for the Gameboy system; it initially was released for the Nintendo 64 system.