Wildcats Pounce Rams with Strong Shooting

Senior+center+Jimmy+Sorunke+battles+the+WJ+defense.++Sorunke+scored+14+points+in+the+Rams+loss+to+the+Wildcats.++

Photo by Emily Reynolds

Senior center Jimmy Sorunke battles the WJ defense. Sorunke scored 14 points in the Rams’ loss to the Wildcats.

Jack Welch, Staff Writer

Boys varsity basketball (10 – 9) fell to the Walter Johnson (WJ) Wildcats (15-6) 77-57 Feb. 12 away, due to the strong shooting performance by the Wildcats.

The Wildcats started off strong, scoring on almost every possession. Although the Rams responded with some points of their own, the Wildcats went on a 10-3 run in the last two minutes to close out the first quarter 20-13.

Keeping up the pace, the Wildcats started the second quarter with an 11-2 run before the Rams called its first timeout of the quarter. The Wildcats’ relentless shooting from the field left the Rams struggling to keep up, and the half ended with the Rams down 45-33.

Reflecting on the struggles in the game that led to the loss players considered the ramifications on the upcoming postseason.

“Last night it wasn’t many things that went too well, as a team we didn’t have our best game,” said senior guard Je’Shaud Armwood who scored eight points against the Wildcats. “But we are still working on everything as the season comes to a close and playoffs are approaching.”

The Rams built upon their hardships by getting into foul trouble throughout the second half, which put the Wildcats on the line where they converted many free throws building a 21-point lead to close out the third quarter 67- 46.

As the buzzer went off the Rams’ final efforts couldn’t compare to the 4A south division champions shooting and the volume from WJ’s student section.

The Rams were led by senior center Jimmy Sorunke who had 14 points, and the Wildcats were led by senior forward Hank Roll with 18 points.

The Rams will take on the Wootton Patriots Feb. 22 away at 5:30 p.m.