Rampage

SMOB Tadikonda Visits RHS, Hears from Students

Back to Article
Back to Article

Student member of the board Ananya Tadikonda speaks to students Dec. 6 about pressing issues in MCPS.  Tadikonda said she hoped to visit all high schools to answer student questions and address concerns.

Student member of the board Ananya Tadikonda speaks to students Dec. 6 about pressing issues in MCPS. Tadikonda said she hoped to visit all high schools to answer student questions and address concerns.

Photo by Olivia De'Ath

Photo by Olivia De'Ath

Photo by Olivia De'Ath

Erin Bode, News Managing Editor

Student Member of the Board Ananya Tadikonda visited RHS Dec. 6 during lunch to meet with students and student leaders to discuss her current policies and student concerns. She plans to visit all middle and high schools throughout MCPS by the end of her term.

“I just want to hear them [students]. I want them to hold me accountable for some of the things that I said I would do during the the campaign, and I just want to make sure I’m addressing all of their concerns,” Tadikonda said.

Students were given the opportunity to ask Tadikonda questions and some of the topics covered were school safety, security, recent policy changes about school walkouts and protests being excused and also mental health.

Tadikonda expressed her disappointment at the lack of action regarding school walkouts. Although she pushed for students to be allowed an excused absence for protesting, the BOE ultimately decided to push the decision until February in order to gain more community feedback.

Tadikonda is a senior at Richard Montgomery High School and her term will end June 30, 2019.

About the Writer
Erin Bode, News Managing Editor

Erin Bode has worked on the Rampage all four years of high school. After starting off as a staff writer, she became a news managing editor her junior year....