Rampage

Varsity Football Folds in Second Half Against Rival on Senior Night

Sophomore Connor Pace (6) celebrating after the Rams make a tackle against the Richard Montgomery Rockets.

Photo by Angelina Logsdon

Photo by Angelina Logsdon

Jack Horan, Staff Writer

Varsity football (3-6) put forth a strong effort but came up short on their senior night against the Richard Montgomery Rockets (6-3), losing 35-14.

Starting off strong, junior quarterback Dylan Monday connected with senior wide receiver Andrew Pace for a three-yard touchdown pass. Pace stood out in the first half catching a handful of passes including a reception in which Pace caught the ball towards the Rockville sidelines, and prompted the crowd go wild.

Rams defense was commanding in the first half holding the Rockets to seven points and maintaining steady pressure on the quarterback leading to numerous sacks and tackles for a loss of yards.

“We played really well in the first half, but struggled in the second half,” junior quarterback Dylan Monday said. “However, I’m really happy on the way we played, and I’m looking forward to what we can do in our next game.”

Many seniors stepped into the spotlight for their senior night including Pace, Antonio Villatoro and Jaylen Lawrence. They all contributed a lot on the offensive and defensive side with all three players helping the Rams gain yards in the air and on the ground, while getting a lot of tackles during the game.

“While it’s disappointing to lose on my senior night, I’m still proud of my family [teammates] for never giving up during the game,” Pace said.

Despite their strong first half, the Rams could not keep pace with the Rockets in the second half with the Rockets outscoring the Rams 28-8.The Rams attempted to make a comeback late into the game, cutting the lead to one touchdown. But their comeback was halted by turnovers and the Rockets added to their lead to close the game 35-14.

The Rams play their final regular season game Friday, Nov. 2 6:30 p.m. against the Albert Einstein Titans at Paint Branch High School.

About the Writer
Jack Horan, Staff Writer

Jack Horan is currently a junior at Rockville High School and a staff writer for the Rampage. This is his first year as a part of the Rampage after taking...