Rampage

Girls Volleyball Drops Straight Sets; Lily’s Hope Serves Another Ace

Junior Elenna Mach sets up the ball as the Rams go on offense against the Poolesville Falcons.  Despite the straight set loss, fans came out to support Lily's Hope.

Junior Elenna Mach sets up the ball as the Rams go on offense against the Poolesville Falcons. Despite the straight set loss, fans came out to support Lily's Hope.

Photo by Olivia De'Ath

Photo by Olivia De'Ath

Jack Horan, Staff Writer

As the team exited the court after a difficult loss, there was still a sense of victory in the air as there always is when this special night in Rockville is a success.

Varsity girls volleyball (4-7) was swept in three sets Oct. 16 by the Poolesville Falcons in the annual Lily’s Hope match. The Rams trailed in each set and were heartbroken in the last set, losing the set 25-7.

Lily’s Hope is a twice-a-year sporting event that allows students and members of the Rockville community to donate money to help stop childhood cancer and specifically support physical education teacher Frank Weaver’s family. All of the money donated during the Lily’s Hope game will go to the Patty Pollatos Fund, then to the Weaver family.

The Lily’s Hope event is in its 12th year fundraising at one volleyball and one basketball game each year.  The event raised over $1,000, which was donated to the Weaver family.

“As a team, we under performed, but we are looking to move on to the next game and play the best we can to finish off the regular season,” junior captain Lizzie Weir said.

The girls varsity volleyball team play their next game Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. away against the Richard Montgomery Rockets.

About the Writer
Jack Horan, Staff Writer

Jack Horan is currently a junior at Rockville High School and a staff writer for the Rampage. This is his first year as a part of the Rampage after taking...