Underclassmen Shine in Ram’s Turnaround Season

Senior+captain+Julie+Gage+passes+the+ball+toward+the+net+in+Damascus+HS%E2%80%99+defensive+zone.+

Photo by William Gangnath

Senior captain Julie Gage passes the ball toward the net in Damascus HS’ defensive zone.

Jabril Mohamed, Staff Writer

Varsity girls lacrosse looks to bounce back from last year’s unsuccessful 4-8 season with second year Coach Will Morris and an experienced young squad.

The Rams started their season off strong at 7-3 as they enter the last quarter of the season.

Although the team is comprised of a majority of upperclassmen, the underclassmen have proven why they are on varsity. Freshman midfielder Paige Krawczel has been making her mark this season, leading the team with 34 points, 24 goals and 10 assists.

History was also made this season as the girls team beat their crosstown rival Richard Montgomery HS for the first time since 2011. The game served as a statement for senior captain Naomi Goldstein, who got her first varsity win ever against Richard Montgomery.

“It felt really awesome because last year we didn’t beat them and our seniors left without ever getting a win against RM,” Goldstein said.  “To beat RM knowing they thought it would be an easy win for them showed how much better we’ve gotten too.”

Their recent victories did not come easy.  Since the offseason workouts, the team has been active constantly improving their skills. Morris encourages offseason workouts as a time to become better as a player and improve team chemistry.

“I always tell the girls don’t pick up your lacrosse stick in March and put it down in May, try to play as often as you can,” Morris said. “A lot of our success has been a result of workouts, and even participating in summer and winter lacrosse leagues, where the girls can get more playing experience.”

The girls look to extend their record on Senior Night with a win against Clarksburg HS May 4.