Track Looks Foward

Rebecca Pujo, Editor in Chief

Coming back from a losing record in the 2016 season, and moving forward the indoor track season, the varsity outdoor track team looks to improve on individual performance in their upcoming invitational, county and state meets.

The team currently holds a 0-3 record in total, but many individuals have achieved personal records(PRs) throughout the season. Their next competition will be May 6 at the Katie Jenkins Invitational, held at Sherwood HS. After their last invitational, individuals who qualify have the opportunity to move on to counties, regionals and then state meets.

The team has a lot of new members this year, and is working on being a unified team while also focusing on individual events.

“This year I’m working towards making sure students are encouraged to continue doing well and not intimidated by people who may be faster than them, and push themselves to work harder to get to higher places,” short distance captain junior Angelique Wong said.

Wong competes in 100 meter, 200 meter and 400 meter sprints, as well as the 4 by 1 relay. She competed in states last year and hopes to go again this year by continuing to PR and do well in her events this year.

The varsity track team is split up into three groups: long distance, short distance and field events. The team splits into their groups every day in order for the runners to practice with others who participate in similar events.

According to head coach Amy Brewer, the team is more unified this year under strong leadership, and they hope to continue working well together in order to motivate each other to succeed.