McCord Commands the Court

Allison DiFonzo, Features Managing Editor

Imagine a player who starts each day by coming into the gym at 6:00 a.m. and shoots 400 shots five days a week; An athlete who performs at the varsity level in two sports, and a straight-A student–all as a freshman.

Grayson McCord hit the ground running her freshman year at RHS joining the JV soccer team in the fall. By the end of the season she was promoted to the varsity squad. In the winter, she transitioned to the basketball court and impressed the coaches, earning a roster spot on the varsity girls team.

“Grayson impacts this year’s team by her effort and her will to learn and get better every day. Her attitude is contagious,” varsity basketball head coach Frank Weaver said. “She is very hardworking and has the personality to become the best she can be.”

The one word that many of McCord’s teammates and coaches use to describe her is hardworking.

Freshman Amy Sunier, who had the opportunity to play with McCord for both the varsity basketball and soccer seasons said, “She encouraged everyone to do their best and when someone didn’t know what to do she wouldn’t get annoyed, but she would help them. She’s a good sport and puts her all into the games and most importantly practices.”

McCord’s work ethic can be attributed to starting team sports at a young age. She has been playing both soccer and basketball since she was five years old.

“It’s fun playing on teams with the older girls because they have more experience and are there to help and give advice for me to excel and get better,” McCord said. “It’s challenging to balance schoolwork and homework, and I’m usually up late, but I’m able to manipulate my schedule so everything fits in. Sports tend to be my outlet and help me focus so that I can get straight A’s.”

Weaver said he has big plans for her as she continues to develop and improve her game.

“I am looking for her to grow as a team leader, but I understand this takes time,” Weaver said. “In the meantime, I am looking for her to improve and become a better outside shooter and work on her defensive rebounding.”

Weaver said that as she continues to develop, McCord is on a trajectory to do really great things at RHS.

McCord’s impact was felt on the soccer team as the Lady Rams finished with a respectable 6-8 record losing a second round playoff game in overtime to divisional finalist Magruder. In that game, McCord played meaningful minutes for the Lady Rams.

On the hardcourt, McCord helped the Lady Rams throughout their season which ended with a 8-12 record. In the latter part of the season her playing time was diminished due to injury.