The Student News Site of Rockville High School

Rampage

Rampage

Rampage

New MCPS Absence Policy Encourages Students to Come to School on Time

Students enter RHS in the morning to ensure that they are in class by the 7:45 bell.

MCPS released its new absence policy for students beginning semester two. The new policy states that a student is marked absent if they miss more than 50% of a single class period. 

Over 100 RHS students arrive late each school day. This policy could have a large effect on their attendance.

“It is hard to get a ride to school, so it is easier for them just to walk to get to school which takes longer,” freshman Michael Watts said.

The policy targets students who arrive late in the morning as well as late to class throughout the day.

“I don’t think it will have a big effect because the students who are missing class are doing it because they don’t care about staying in class,” freshman Erik Honigfort said.

MCPS implemented this policy to gauge how attendance impacts grades and schoolwork.
“MCPS is trying to instill in students how important attendance is at school,” attendance secretary Mary Norfolk said. “They are making it tougher so students can see how this new policy will impact them on the whole and possibly bring down their grades.”

These new policies may be gateways for future rules such as implementing attendance-based grading or other incentives for being on time. Nevertheless, there are current effects of this policy for students who come late.

“The number one negative effect of poor attendance grades,” Norfolk said.“ I hope seeing their report card will encourage late students to come on time and concentrate on their grades more.”