Bagpipe Skills Reward Senior

Senior William Shropshire jams out on his signature instrument in hopes of attaining woodwind perfection. –Meklit Bekele

Senior William Shropshire jams out on his signature instrument in hopes of attaining woodwind perfection. --Meklit Bekele

Every year, Bethesda Magazine features Montgom ery county’s best and brightest students, awarding them the Extraordinary Teen award. This year, out of 135 nom inees, senior William Shropshire from RHS was featured and awarded.

Shropshire’s passion for music is seen through his many talents with the violin and percussion, but espe cially featured through his love for bagpiping.

His passion for bagpipes was awakened when he was three years old after experiencing a piping concert. After taking lessons at the age of 11, Shropshire became avid with bagpipes, performing in several competitions and winning various awards.

Along with juggling the IB program, Shropshire is a second year pipe major, playing for the Rockville High School Pipe Band in addition to being in the RHSa�� or chestra.

He was the drum line captain for RHSa�� marching and pep band. He is also the vice president of the rock climbing club at RHS. Shropshire plans to study music composition in college, putting together his original pieces.

“It’s really cool because I don’t really think about my life being anything out of the ordi nary so being featured in an ar ticle for top extraordinary teens is weird,” Shropshire said. “But it also feels good to know that you’re something special.”

Lisa Frazier, band direc tor of the RHS Pipe Band, ac knowledges Shropshire’s talent and is proud of his recognition in the magazine.

“They couldn’t have found a better person to receive that award,” Frazier said. “He’s a remarkable kid and he deserves it.”

Frazier looks forward to her job everyday because she enjoys meeting and working with talented kids who have a passion for music like Shropshire. With Shropshire’s talented ear in composing music, Frazier and Shropshire work together to help coordinate perfor mances.

Just recently, the band played at Lutheran Village, with an hour-long concert, and Frazier worked with Shropshire in music coordina tion and leading the band. Fra zier also notices Shropshire’s leadership skills and praises his patience as a student musician.

Frazier said, “His future is so bright; you can’t find anybody better than Will.”

Steve Hull, Editor-in-Chief, of the Bethesda Magazine ex plains the establishment of such award and the process in which these students were selected. In contrast to the constant ac knowledgments of high school athletes getting all the attention and awards, Steve en dorses the extraordinary teens who are not the average teenager, with or without sports.

A group of editors award for criteria including be ing well-rounded, having one particular extraordinary passion they excel in, giving back to the community in a unique way and being a young passionate student.