Tech Aid Loren Hersh Places First in Maryland USA Leadership and Skills Conference

Junior Loren Hersh poses with his first place medal in computer maintainance. –Claudia Mirembe

Junior Loren Hersh poses with his first place medal in computer maintainance. --Claudia Mirembe

At the skills USA Maryland Leadership and Skills Conference April 4-5 junior Loren Hersh showcased his notable computer knowledge and won first place in the field of computer maintenance technology.

The competition, SkillsUSA, is a group of students, teachers and industry professionals working together to serve more than 264,000 high school and college students who are enrolled in training programs for technical, skilled and service occupations.

In the computer maintenance technology competition in which Hersh competed, contestants diagnosed service and personal computer problems and fixed various software problems.

“There was a written portion and they made four computers stop working in different ways and we had to fix them,” Hersh said.

Hersh’s experience with computer maintenance is most visible in the computer labs in RHS, where Hersh served as a computer maintenance guru during his freshman year.

“I first met Loren when he was running a cart of computers and I actually thought he worked here. It turned out that he’s a student that the school relies on to troubleshoot any time a teacher has a computer issue,” English teacher Sharon Lee said.

Hersh participated in an internship in RHSa�� IT department his freshman year and was mentored by Jennifer Lomax, IT systems specialist, as he attained a great deal of his skills through this experience. He learned how the school computer’s hardware and software worked, and became the go-to student for IT trouble-shooting.

“Before Edison I was an intern at RHSa�� IT department with Ms. Lomax and I learned a lot there.” Hersh said.

Hersh also participates in the Edison Career Path program that gives students a chance to focus and master skills that they want to expert. Currently, Hersh goes to Edison for the first half of the day and takes computer science courses.

“He’s a great worker…He’s really independent, from the first week I had him I was already sending him out to work in the classrooms. There’s not much I had to teach him: he’s a genius,” Ms. Lomax said.

In the future, Hersh plans to go down the IT systems and maintenence career path as he is searching for internships.