The Student News Site of Rockville High School

Rampage

Seniors Move On

An overview photo of the class of 2017 graduates.

Amy Tran, Associate Editor

Class of 2017’s graduation ceremony took place June 7 at DAR Constitution Hall with remarks from class officers, principal Billie-Jean Bensen, Montgomery County Board of Education (BOE) member Shebra Evans and commencement speaker Lane Ethridge.

Commencement speaker and RHS alum (‘01) Lane Ethridge was senior class vice president, a Rampage staffer and a student-athlete during high school. He is currently an international business owner, award-winning author, entrepreneur and motivational speaker.

“Now looking back, I feel like this is just second nature,” Ethridge told the Rampage. “So I’ve been in the seat of each of the people that are graduating and I know the same feelings that they are going to be going through.”

Ethridge hid a $5 bill and began his speech by asking graduates to look under their seats. Graduating senior Christopher Williams found the bill and was invited to the stage and asked whether he would like to keep the money or exchange it for a mysterious item. Williams exchanged it and the item turned out to be a $20 bill. Ethridge’s message was to always look for opportunities and to take risks.

“Live in the moment and really discover what’s best for [you],” Ethridge said. “More importantly is what lane you want to go down and what’s most important for you- not from a selfish standpoint, but because I think we can impact the world in the biggest way when we really discover what’s best for us, because that’s when we can use our talents and skills best.”

Montgomery County officials assisted Bensen in the presentation of diplomas. The Chorus, directed by Lindsay Hein, and Symphonic Band, directed by Phil Barnes, performed the RHS alma mater before senior class president Mary Margaret Bilodeau began the turning of the tassel.

“Many of you challenged yourselves by taking honors and AP classed with a big push from your counselor and teachers,” Bensen said. “When it got hard and you wanted to get out, you were urged to stay strong and go for help and not give up. You stuck with it, you were successful- remember that lesson.”