Winter Staycation Activities Abound in Rockville

Jonathan Brake, Contributing Writer

As winter break approaches, members of the RHS community who are not going on vacation outside of Rockville are looking for things to do.

Winter break is about two weeks long. Rockville students leave school Friday Dec. 23, 2016, and return Jan. 3, 2017. This week and a half free of school can be used to relax and have a good time with friends and family.

Rockville Town Center (TC) is full of popular activities that many people around Rockville go to do, such as the ice rink, which has been packed with people from infants to grandparents. Ice skaters can bring along friends and family to enjoy a night at TC. Many residents said that they plan on coming back later during winter break for some more fun.

Sophomore Colin Gabele said, “We’ll definitely head into downtown Rockville. There are usually a lot of activities you can do, like ice skating.”

The rink is open from noon to 11 p.m. on Fridays, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays, and on holidays such as during winter break there will be extended hours. Kids 12 and under pay $8 to skate, and 13 and older pay $9. Skate rentals are $4. See http://rockvilletownsquare.com/at-the-square/ice-rink/ for additional information on the town center ice rink.

Another attraction in the town center is the Regal movie theater. Some teachers plan to include it in their winter plans.

Algebra 1 teacher Jason Lee said, “I definitely think I’m going to maybe see a movie.”

Tickets are $12 for a wide variety of new popular movies. The theater is open from 11 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. on most days. You can go to http://www.regmovies.com/theatres/theatre-folder/regal-rockville-center-stadium-13-1389 for more information on theater hours and movie showtimes.

After fun-filled activities, ice skaters and movie watchers like to eat at restaurants in TC.

Freshman Amy Sunier said, “I’m probably going to go to California Tortilla after [a] movie.”

Choosing restaurants can be difficult and many people choose on the spot because there are a number of options in the TC, including Gordon Biersch, Mellow Mushroom, Five guys, Thai Pavilion, Potbelly Sandwich Shop, California Tortilla and more.