CON: Students Can Opt Out of Pep Rallies

Pep rallies are a focal point of school spirit and classmate camaraderie that is unparalleled in its communal benefits. As one student-faculty body, we come together as a community and show that we are united in supporting each other. To choose absence from such an event is destructive for both the school and the student who does not attend.
Starting this school year, students are given the option to sit in the cafeteria under teacher supervision instead of going to the pep rally. This change allows students a safe and quiet place to relax instead of being in, what seems to them as, a stressful or pointless situation.
However, the essence of this choice is fundamentally unhealthy and basically teaching students that if they find something uncomfortable, they can huddle in a corner to hide from it.
“Kids should come and support their school and student athletes no matter how they feel about public events.
It’s not about being comfortable; it’s about being part of a larger community that cares about each other and school pride,” senior Xavier Daschner said.
Even so, it is a big mistake to not take into account the very real health concerns of such an event. Students with health problems that would become aggravated or worsened under the admittedly unpleasant conditions such as heat and extreme noises should absolutely be able to opt out of this event.
The issue rests with the group of kids that just don’t want to deal with it for personal reasons and nothing else.
I completely understand those individuals who have anxiety and find that kind of environment stressful or harmful. Those people should absolutely be able to take solace in a safe and quiet area, however, some kids are abusing the system just so they can play video games or ignore the pep rally.
Honestly, I am not a huge fan of large crowds stuffed into a hot and noisy room. Most people aren’t. I don’t go for the entertainment value; I could find better things to do than watch my classmates be wrapped in toilet paper. But I, like many others (including some teachers), understand that personal comfort does not override loyalty to our school.
“As a student athlete I can speak for the rest of students that athletes in saying that we really appreciate all the support we receive at pep rallies,” junior varsity football player Cameron Hoppman said. “The large crowd of kids gets us excited because we feel like our community supports us. When I hear of people rather playing on their DS than support us, I get upset just as anyone else would,” Hoppman continued.
Letting introverted students retreat, is going to give them a rude awakening in college. True, there will always be a way to avoid the immense stress of standing and chanting, but to truly experience life and grow socially as an individual, confronting these situations is the best policy.