Empty Bowls Night Raises $2,000

Parents and Staff at Empty Bowls Night — Photo by Nicholas Cropper

Parents and staff converse amongst themselves at Empty Bowls Night. -- Photo taken byNicholas Cropper

Empty Bowls Night was a concept developed by art teacher John Hartom in 1990 to raise funds for the community; RHS is hosting its sixth annual Empty Bowls Night to raise money for the Capital Area Food Bank.

Empty Bowls Night was adopted by RHS to help support National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week and to raise money for the community. For the past five years, ceramics teacher Ron Loyd has been directing the fundraiser. In the past five years, he has made close to $10,000. Last year, Empty Bowls Night was able to raise roughly $2,000 from selling around 110 bowls.

This year, Loyd hopes to keep up the success of this fundraiser by raising at least $2,000. “I always like to shoot for around $2,000,” said Loyd. Loyd’s ceramic students are responsible for making the bowls for the event. Each student was required to make at least one bowl for a grade and were given two student service learning hours.

Students can make as many bowls as they want. However, last year there was about 70 unsold bowls which were returned to the students. Loyd also contributes to the event by exhibiting some of his own works for auction in an attempt to raise more money. Although Empty Bowls Night does not receive a lot of promotion, more people seem to come every year.

The students made the bowls in December and the bowls have been on display in the art hallway ever since. “It was boring, but we were being graded on it so I had to do it,” said sophomore Kevin Reinoso. At the door there is a $12 admission fee; once inside, one can pick whichever bowl one wants. This year’s soups include chili, corn chowder and minestrone.

Once one has chosen the desired soup, one is given a piece of bread made by Panera Bread Co. Many teachers and staff members have come out to Empty Bowls Night to help support the fundraiser, including school business administrator Bradley Rohner. Rohner has attended Empty Bowls Night before. “It’s a great event; there’s a lot of activity and music going on,” said Rohner.