Engineering Field Trip Inspires Students

Gale Wolf’s engineering development and design class along with part of George Bonney’s physics class traveled to the National Air and Space Museum in Chantilly, Va. April 1 for a field trip.

The companion to the facility on the National Mall in Washington, D.C, the Udvar-Hazy Center features thousands of aviation and space artifacts including the space shuttle Discovery and a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird.

Upon arrival, students took an elevator to the observation tower which gave them a spectacular view of Washington Dulles International Airport and its planes flying in.

“The tower was interesting because you could voices of air traffic control at the airport,” said senior Angela Barney.

Students then were allowed to roam the two hangers and observe exhibitions such as WWII aircraft, human spaceflight, rockets and missiles and even a small Transformers exhibit where props from the major motion picture “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” were displayed. The movie was partly filmed at the museum.

Tour guide were available to students if they wanted to get more in depth information about the exhibits and were not asked to complete any assignments relating to the field trip.

“I thought the field trip was a success,” technology teacher Jennifer Forrest said. “The exhibits allowed students to see how concepts learned in class are applied to the real world.”

At lunch, students were given vouchers for a meal at the McDonald’s that was inside of the museum.

“Apart from waiting in the long line for lunch, I really enjoyed this field trip and learned a lot from the visit,” said junior Essex Thompson.